Health and Finance Advocacy Adviser (2)
- 27 Mar 2018
- Lagos and Jigawa, Nigeria
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
The Health and Finance Advocacy Adviser will lead on health policy analysis and support the design and implementation of the programme within the right based programming approach. S/he will be responsible for leading on the development and delivery health advocacy and financing strategy within the context of Universal Health Care. S/he will support the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of party to promote pro-poor governance agenda in the delivery of primary health care with focus on improving quality and access to Health Services and strengthening the health system.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Develop and lead policy and research on health financing, health systems and Universal Health Coverage, especially for influencing national processes and discussions;
- Support actively in the process of developing the programme short- and long-term governance and advocacy agendas. Particularly as it relates to exploring governance-related barriers to the elimination of exclusion and inequity;
- Develop and deliver advocacy strategies to influence relevant stakeholders and achieve health policy changes at national and State levels;
- Assist colleagues to strengthen their knowledge and skills/capacities to incorporate governance frameworks, policy research, analysis and advocacy into their work;
- Monitor trends in the external environment, identifying opportunities to promote the programme and policy advocacy objectives;
- Keep abreast of the external political and policy environment and create the right opportunities for engagement and influencing.
Communication and Representation
- Act as SC’s representative at state and national levels with local authorities, partners etc. as required, mainly in events relating to health services;
- Organise events on health issues, including small high-level seminars;
- Develop and maintain a professional network for governance issues within Nigeria and within SC globally;
- Organise events for dissemination of important information and messages;
- Develop position papers, briefings and policy advocacy messaging to clearly communicate our advocacy goals.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self- accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values;
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same;
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically;
- Build strong influencing networks among policy makers, donors and CSOs to push the UHC agenda.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters;
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength;
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions;
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Level of Education – Post Graduate;
- Specified Study Area – Public Health / Development Economics / Development Studies;
- 5 years’ experience in health/development advocacy with a focus on health financing, health governance and enhanced voice and accountability;
- Fluency in English Language;
- Level of IT Expertise Required – Excellent;
- Profound knowledge in Nigeria governance and health systems and political terrains;
- Strong knowledge of global health policy goals and commitments;
- Ability to write strong position papers and policy briefings;
- Strong analytical framework to clearly articulate and communicate our policy positions;
- Ability to be strategic and proactive when required to be able to keep advocacy plans dynamic and aligned to new policy and political developments;
- Ability to clearly communicate and easily relate to federal state authorities;
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment;
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s commitment to protect children in accordance with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Prior Experience Expectations
- Building external networks;
- Health financing background;
- Strategic Planning;
- Governance and Gender advocacy;
- Enhanced voice accountability;
- Training and Facilitation
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.